16 January 2012

Vegan Cookie Dough (thanks, Amanda!)



The great Amanda Karkoutly (brilliant cook and friend) introduced this recipe to Justin and me a few months ago. She takes great pride in her healthy, delicious, diverse cooking and always abundantly feeds her friends and guests. I am super fortunate to have her as a culinary guide and inspiration. Justin near lost his mind over this vegan cookie dough. I finally got around to making it last week, but keep eating most of it before anyone else has a chance (I get gremlin sometimes).


INGREDIENTS
chickpeas (1 can) rinsed well, skin peeled off for a smoother texture (although I have never taken the time to do so)
peanut butter or almond butter (3 Tbsp) peanut butter will lend it a more PB flavor
maple syrup (2 Tbsp) add more if you want it sweeter
oats (1 Tbsp) I get the gluten/wheat free ones 
almond milk (1 Tbsp) use as desired for a thinning agent
dark chocolate chips I get ones with at least 72% cocoa to minimize blood sugar spikes/falls or break up a dark chocolate bar. You can also get a vegan variety. I usually always prefer cookie dough without any chips at all (I know this is sacrilege to most people).
vanilla extract (2 tsp) preferably the kind without added sugar, most vanilla extracts are mostly sugar


DIRECTIONS
  1. Blend everything in the food processor until the texture is creamy smooth.
  2. Add chocolate chips.
  3. Chill in the fridge for a few hours to let the flavors settle. (I rarely do this before eating half the batter straight from the processor.)
Great with apples, alone, on toasted brown rice bread with some kosher salt and maple syrup drizzled on top, or combined with the vegan chocolate pudding and berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment