19 January 2012

Tahini Salad with Roasted Chickpeas


















I've been going garbanzo crazy since starting a plant-based diet. They're chock-full of fiber, iron, calcium, a bit of vitamin C, and have a very low GI for slow-releasing energy. I've always loved them (hummus holds a special place in my heart), but am newly discovering their incredible versatility (i.e. vegan cookie dough). I came across roasted garbanzo beans on the Whole Foods site and thought it would turn any romaine-type lettuce into a great salad. I looked up tahini dressings until I found this one by Mark Bittman. I've had it two days in a row now for lunch. Cheap, nutritious, filling and delicious.



INGREDIENTS
Roasted Garbanzos
garbanzo beans rinsed and drained
pimenton or paprika
cayenne
olive oil
lemon juice
salt
Tahini Dressing
tahini (2 Tbls)
cumin (1/4 tsp or to taste)
lemon juice (1/2 tsp or to taste)
garlic (1 small clove) minced
salt
water


INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Heat oven to 425º, mix all garbanzo ingredients together, spread out on a cookie sheet and pop in the oven until crispy. About 40 minutes. Shake cookie sheet a couple times to prevent burning. (Make sure they retain a bit of softness in the center, otherwise your jaw will get a strenuous workout - I made this mistake when Brent & John came over the other night for dinner.)
  2. Whisk dressing ingredients together. Use drops of water to thin consistency. Hand massage into lettuce. Garnish with roasted garbanzos (and flaxseeds if so inclined).
Ready to serve! xo, J

No comments:

Post a Comment