26 January 2012

Farmers Market Stew with Fennel, Saffron and Chickpeas





















(From the warm and wonderful Simran!I go to the farmers market every week and buy a bunch of veggies. During the winter, I like to put all of these into a stew or soup that will last all week. First, I clean the veggies and use the trimmings, an extra onion and a few carrots and celery spears to make a quick stock. Then, I wash out my only big pot and start on the stew or soup. This all takes an hour or two on Sunday and I have enough to reheat for several days. Some may call this lazy, but I think of it as efficient and economic.


For inspiration, I most often turn to Deborah Madison's excellent Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. I usually have a slightly different list of ingredients than what she calls for in a recipe, but I use her instructions as guidelines. As she says, "A forgiving food, soup happily accepts a fennel bulb where none was called for, replaces a leek with an onion, provides a home for a tasty leftover."


This recipe is based on Madison's Potato and Chickpea Stew.


INGREDIENTS
fingerling or red potatoes (1 lb) scrubbed and halved or quartered
olive oil (3 T)
onion (1 large) diced
fennel bulb (1) cut into strips, chop some fronds for garnish
saffron (2 generous pinches)
garlic cloves (2 large) minced
parsley (1/4 cup) chopped, leave some for garnish
red pepper flakes (1/4 t)
medium-dry sherry (1/2 cup) I used 1/4 cup each dry vermouth and apple juice
diced tomatoes (1 large can/box) with their juices 
chickpeas (1 can) rinsed
broth or water (3 cups)
freshly milled pepper
salt


DIRECTIONS
  1. Warm the oil in a wide pot with the onion, fennel, saffron, garlic and potatoes. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring gently every now and then until the potatoes are tender-firm, about 25 minutes.
  2. Add the parsley and pepper flakes and cook 3 or 4 minutes.
  3. Add the sherry and cook until the juices in the pan are thick and syrupy, about 12 minutes.
  4. Add the tomatoes, chickpeas and broth to cover. Season with 1 1/4 teaspoons salt and plenty of pepper. Cover and cook over low heat until the potatoes are completely tender, about 20 minutes.
  5. Serve with parsley and fennel fronds.

1 comment:

  1. Sim, I love the tossing scraps into a pot right away for a broth. I have heard this a bunch of times, but you do it in a way that's accessible to me. Thank you! Cannot wait to try this and have a new use for fennel.

    xo,
    Jacquelyn

    ReplyDelete