15 June 2012

Buffalo Style Cauliflower & Vegan Blue Cheese Dressing


Okay, so I visited Mohawk Bend for the first time the other week with Sarah and her friend Brad. Their "elevated pub food" (made with locally-sourced ingredients) is appealing to both plant and meat eaters alike. Brad kept talking about their Buffalo Style Cauliflower and even though I eat a plant-based diet and am continually shocked by just how good vegetables can be, I was skeptical that this cauliflower could really be THAT good. But it was. It was that good. And really hard for me to share. I wanted to order a second helping, but everyone looked at me like I was crazy.  

I told Justin about it and he cooked it up the first chance he got. It came out just as good as Mohawk Bend's. We researched a bunch of different methods, tasted through the best ones, and tweaked it a bit to give the cauliflower more coating and sauce. This is some spectacular plant junk food (and not junky at all if you watch your blue cheese dipping and/or omit the added oil to the hot sauce).


INGREDIENTS, Buffalo Style Cauliflower
cauliflower (1 head) cut into florets
brown rice flour (1/2 cup) any flour will do, I use brown rice flour for a no-gluten variation
water (1/2 cup)
salt (pinch)
frank's original hot sauce (1/4 cup) if you omit the oil, then use 1/2 cup instead; I specifically recommend Frank's hot sauce only because it truly has that distinct "hot wings" flavor - I also get the Red Hot Original since their Red Hot Buffalo Wings type has preservatives in it
vegetable oil or earth balance (1/4 cup) optional, use less or none; I prefer just a touch otherwise I get a bellyache 

INGREDIENTS, Vegan Blue Cheese Dressing
extra firm tofu (1/4 block) pressed between paper towels to suck out the moisture
garlic powder (dash)
vegenaise (1/2 cup) I use a grapeseed version, Follow Your Heart, with great ingredients
tahini (1/4 tsp)
lemon (dash)
apple cider vinegar (dash)
green onions (2 T) chopped
parsley (2 t) chopped
mustard powder (dash)
freshly ground black pepper (to taste)

DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat the oven to 400º and oil/butter up a baking sheet.
  2. Mix the flour, water and a pinch of salt into a batter.
  3. Coat each cauliflower floret with the batter making sure it's not too thick so it crisps up in the oven like fried batter on chicken wings. Arrange florets on baking sheet, then pop in the oven for 30 minutes or until edges golden slightly.
  4. In the meantime, whip up the blue cheese dressing; mix all ingredients and crumble in tofu to create that chunky blue cheese texture.
  5. In a separate bowl, mix hot sauce and oil (or melted Earth Balance) together; when florets are done, toss them in hot sauce. Serve with "blue cheese" on the side.
Enjoy! xo, J&J

8 comments:

  1. What kind of hot sauce did you use, Please??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi HippoHappiness! Great question - I'll actually adjust the entry with this detail since it's so crucial. You gotta use Frank's Hot Sauce. Most buffalo wings recipes specifically list Franks because it has that very distinct buffalo wings flavor. They carry a "buffalo wings" specific sauce, but it has preservatives in it, so I use their "Red Hot Original," which has nothing but goodness in it and that hot wing taste as well. Hope this helps, enjoy! Let us know how yours turns out!

      Delete
  2. yayyyy so happy for this recipe! I just visited here recently and was amazed! saw your recipe! thank youuuuu can't wait to make it at home now!

    with love, self love.

    www.self--love.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks self love! So glad you enjoy the recipe. Hope they come out deliciously.

      -J

      Delete
  3. I have been trying to think of ways to adapt this recipe for so long! I’m not a poultry fan but I love buffalo & blue cheese so this is perfect. I bought all of the ingredients today click here and i will try my best to make perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was the oil/Earth Balance listed int he ingredients only used for greasing the pan?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kyle! Apologies for the confusion - the oil or Earth Balance is listed to mix with the hot sauce to create that rich hot sauce coating. It's a 1:1 ratio of hot sauce to oil if you want that decadent chicken wing style, but you can increase/decrease the oil as much as you want depending on your belly and palate. I corrected the confusing error in the instructions.

    Thank you!

    xo,
    J

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really good. I ended up needing 2x the amount of batter, for some reason, but this is so tasty and decadent.

    ReplyDelete